At Holy Trinity Catholic Primary School, we are committed to supporting all children in the development of their literacy skills.
Children participate in a two-hour daily English session, where reading, writing, speaking and listening are integrated to model how literacy skills work together to enable children to become proficient users of the English language in their daily lives.
Key components of the English curriculum and pedagogy at Holy Trinity include:
- systematic synthetic phonics approach to teach reading
- daily interactive teacher read alouds
- 15 minutes of daily silent reading
- individualised activities based on student needs
- data and assessment informed lesson design
- intervention and extension groups where required
- strategic use of technology
Holy Trinity has a dedicated library in the main building, stocked with books chosen by the children. Each class enjoys a timetabled library session each week and are able to borrow books to read at school or home.